Beneath that entry is Elizabeth's birth record and it provides us with date and place of her birth. It says, Elizabeth Mulleran was born on the 10th day of February in Williams Township, Northampton Co., Pennsylvania, 1789. That information was significant to documenting that her father was Valentine Miller.
The last entry on the right side is the birth record of Anna Houck. Anna must have become the keeper of this wonderful Family Bible. Hats off to you Anna for preserving your family history!
Elizabeth Muller was 17 years old when she married John Houck on May 2, 1801. Together they had ten children, eight of whom lived to be adults. The records of their births are recorded in the Church records of the Lutheran and Reformed Congregation at Mount Bethel. They were: Johann Jacob, born January 25, 1802, his sponsors were his maternal grandparents. Valentine and Susanna Mueller. He married Sarah. He died in 1887. Next was Susanna, born November 14, 1803, who married Frederick Weaver. Susanna died January 6,1861. Our Anna who was third was born January 12, 1807. She married John McEwen and died about 1874. Then came George, born January 16, 1809, who married Hannah Young and died November 5, 1886. Next is Christian, born October 10, 1813 and died August 25, 1895. He married Sarah Cressman. Maria, born January 24, 1816, died before 1856. Michael, November 25, 1817, married Louisa Hartzell and died September 30, 1909. Johannes died before 1856, he was born December 29, 1820. Catherine who married Reuben Schoch was born March 15, 1823 and died September 30, 1863. And finally Joseph, born December 4, 1824 and died June 20, 1897 was married to Maria Weaver.
John Houck was born March 28, 1779, but I have never been able to find a birth record for him other then the Bible record. He died December 29, 1856. Elizabeth was born February 10, 1784 and died October 12, 1861.
- Personal family history records of Cynthia H. Smith, Mt. Bethel, Pennsylvania
- Houck Family Bible, Biblia - Die Ganza Heilige Schrist, 1844. This is the property of John Houck in the year of our Lord 1856. This Bible is now in the possession of Cynthia H. Smith.
- Miller, Valentine. Notes given to me by Carol Houck Bollenback, July 10, 1991. These notes are dated February, 1940 and were written by Miss L. Victoria Houck, a granddaughter of John Houck. Photocopies are in my file.
- John McEwen Family Bible. The Holy Bible, 1827. This Bible was located in 1976 in the McEwen attic now in my possession.
- Seneca Co. Ohio Court Records. Oct. 10, 1843. Letter of attorney naming Henry McEwen of Seneca Co. Ohio to represent John Houck the guardian of William McEwen, son of John McEwen, deceased.
- Muller Family Descendants, Doris Rizza. Received Oct. 1996. Research located on the IGI at the LDS.
- Church Record of the Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Congregation at Mount Bethel Township, Northampton Co., PA , 1914. Transcribed from the old German Record by the Rev. Dr. Wm. Wackernagel. Containing birth records from 1774 - 1890.
- Find A Grave website was used to locate death dates of the children of John and Elizabeth Houck